By Jim Lee, President of simpleQuE
With the deadline for ISO 9001:2015, ISO 14001:2015, AS9100:2016 and IATF 16949:2016 approaching on September 14, 2018, companies have been slow to transition. The statistics are sobering, although not unexpected. The new ISO standards have been in effect for 2 years but only 6-20% have made the leap. (The number varies among registrars and the ANAB.) The final draft for the AS 9100 series followed a year later, but with the same deadline, and only 3% have upgraded. Even fewer IATF companies have transitioned – and all have only 1 year left to get the upgrade completed.
What should you be doing if you’re one of these companies that has pushed out the inevitable?
- Know that your next scheduled annual audits are the dates when you must transition to the new standards. If your next audit is a recertification and upgrade, you will need to perform the audit at least 2 months prior to your certificate expiring to give you enough time to address any potential nonconformances.
- Review the new standard and do a gap analysis to see where there are differences in your quality (and/or environmental) management system and the changes to the standard. Generic basic checklists are available from your certification body, or detailed gap checklists with tips and explanations can be purchased from simpleQuE. Learn more about simpleQuE’s Gap Checklist for: ISO 9001:2015, ISO 14001:2015, or IATF 16949:2016. Note that IAQG offers a free AS9100D Gap Assessment Workbook.
- Establish an action plan that will have you ready for your audits. Assign responsibilities and due dates to ensure you’re ready on time.
- Train your internal auditors and perform a full system audit to make sure your system is on track and in compliance. You must have evidence of a full internal audit and subsequent management review prior to upgrading with your certification body. If you can’t get your audits done in time you’ll need to outsource them. (SimpleQuE can conduct an internal audit to the new standard after the implementation effort to prepare you for the external audit.)
- Don’t expect to wing it and do nothing in preparation for these changed standards, or you will fail your next audit and lose your certification. Worst case if you aren’t ready in time, you may have to let your certification lapse and then become recertified at a later time when you’re ready. No one wants to hear that, but it is a reality for some who haven’t started.
- If you still aren’t sure how to proceed, work with a consulting firm (like simpleQuE) with certified experts who can provide consulting, training and customized plan to guide you through the transition.
“The IAQG Other Party Management Team (OPMT) would like to remind all certificated organizations that there are two key target dates within the “International Aerospace Quality Group (IAQG) Other Party Management Team (OPMT) Supplemental Rule 003 – Rules for 9100/9110/9120:2016 and 9101:2016 Transition” document that were established in order to ensure that a certified organization transition occurs prior to the 15 September 2018 end date.
The first key target has now passed. In accordance with SR003; “10.a By March 1, 2017 AQMS certified organizations shall communicate with their CB to establish an intended date for 9100/9110/9120:2016 AQMS standard transition readiness.” We greatly appreciate the efforts that certificated organizations have taken to meet this requirement and would like to remind those that have not yet made transition plans; there is an elevated risk of not meeting the 2018 end date if you have not established and communicated the aforementioned date to your CB.
The second key target date in SR003 is 15 June 2017. In accordance with SR003; 9.g No initial, surveillance or recertification audits shall be started to the previous versions of the AQMS standards after June 15, 2017.” We must ensure that transition has a start date or Certification Bodies may face auditor resource issues in 2018 as the transition end date approaches.”
SimpleQuE is an ISO 9001:2015 certified company that provides ISO, AS and IATF consulting services from quality experts to assist organizations in successfully meeting transition targets. Contact us for more information. IAQG also provides AS9100 D transition support materials.
SimpleQuE was one of the first consulting companies in the world to become ISO 9001:2015 certified. The transition is simple when utilizing our expert consultants or gap checklist to guide you through the process.
- FastTrack your way to success – with our expedited approach to implement the 2015 changes based on lessons we have learned with numerous clients and through historical changes to various standards. Through the FastTrack program your team will develop and complete a clear roadmap in four months (1 day/month for 4 months) and be ready to upgrade your certification in 5 months. (The FastTrack model can be customized and accelerated with your implementation team to meet your timelines.) Click here for more information.
- Customized on-site consulting and training – We offer unique quality consulting insights that result in customized solutions. We are known as the consultant that simplifies ISO implementation, transition, training and maintenance, by integrating simple solutions that fit in your company’s culture. We perform a thorough gap analysis to identify what needs to be implemented or changed. With our expertise, we help identify where you’re already in compliance and target only those areas that need work. Part of our job with the gap assessment is to educate you on how you already comply with your current systems. The result of the gap analysis is a thorough action plan of each task that needs to be accomplished. The action plan is laid out against your timing and resources to successfully achieve your upgrade to ISO 9001:2015.
- Utilize our ISO 9001:2015 Gap Audit Checklist – Companies that have mature Quality Management Systems and experienced Quality Managers will find this a useful tool to identify the differences between the 2015 standard versus 2008. The checklist can be shared with your certification body as evidence of internal audits to the new ISO 9001:2015 requirements. The purchase of this gap checklist comes with a free half hour of phone or email consulting. Purchase checklist.
For more information or to obtain a quote for implementation consulting services or training, please call 740-305-0868 or contact us by email.
Certified companies to AS9100C will need to upgrade to AS9100D from when their certification body can begin issuing certificates (sometime late in 2016) through June 14, 2018. This should typically coincide with a scheduled surveillance or recertification audit. A special audit can also be scheduled and paid for. You should plan your upgrade based on this transition timing window and when your audit cycle falls.