A Sneak Peek at AS91XX:2016
AS91XX:2016 SNEAK PEAK
The new aerospace standards are due to be released in October. The changes apply to AS9100 for manufacturers, AS9110 for aircraft maintenance, AS9120 for distributors, and AS9115 for software. Tied with these is AS9101 primarily for the certification bodies on how to audit these standards. There are additional AS standards, some are guidance documents, like AS9146 Foreign Object Damage/Debris (FOD) Prevention, which are also changing.
SimpleQuE can help you to prepare and understand the impact to your organization. Therefore, over the coming weeks, we’ll cover the significant changes to expect with the release.
- There is a new clause 8.1.3 specifically focused on product safety and the workers’ impact. The added requirements to be aware of:
- Their contribution to product or service conformity (always in ISO, but could extend to temps, subcontractors and suppliers in your control)
- Their contribution to product safety (new, and includes flow down to external providers)
- The importance of ethical behavior (new, and includes flow down to external providers)
Product safety should be considered throughout the product lifecycle. Product lifecycle extends outside of the control of your company and includes supply chain, customers and end users. Our understanding is that auditors will be looking to see that you know where your parts are used, what the expected lifecycle may be, which can include obsolescence, and that your planning process really addresses and considers product safety through the entire product lifecycle.
- There is a new clause 8.1.4 specifically for counterfeit parts prevention, including suspect counterfeit parts. Counterfeit parts are typically focused around electronics, circuit boards, and fasteners. It can include raw materials and traceability. People don’t often think about counterfeit parts with intellectual property and trademark infringement. The standard wants to see that counterfeit parts, obsolescence of product, and risk are considered through engineering, purchasing, planning, control and inspections. It is also touched in other clauses 8.1 a, 6.3, 8.2.2 d, 8.3.3 f, 8.4.1, 8.4.2, 8.4.2 d, 8.4.3 k, 8.5.2 Note, and 8.7.1.
These are just a few of the changes. We’ll continue to publish more, so keep watching.
Learn More About The simpleQuE Advantage