How the Latest GM IATF 16949:2016 CSR Revision Impacts Suppliers as of August 31, 2023
General Motors (GM) revised their IATF 16949:2016 Customer Specific Requirements (CSR) August 15, 2023
The latest GM CSR revision is effective August 31, 2023 includes the following:
- Section 1.2 IATF 16949:2016 Deviations (Waivers) Replaced the GM 1927 71 Quad Report with GM 1927 70 SQ IATF 16949® Certification Waiver
- Section 126.96.36.199 NBH Updated verbiage
- Section 188.8.131.52 Added CQI-14
- Section 10.2.5 Added Warranty requirements – including AIAG CQI-14 Automotive Warranty Management.
GM Supplier Focus
The takeaway from these updates:
- A revised report requiring GM supplier quality management approval for waiving IATF 16949®.
- New business hold special status may include a complaint to the supplier’s IATF certification body, which will lead to an IATF 16949:2016 decertification process being initiated.
- CQI-14 self-assessment will need to be conducted to meet the CSR effective date of August 31, 2023.
Need assistance in conducting the CQI-14 self assessment? SimpleQuE has experienced consulting resources available to help conduct your organization’s CQI-14 self assessment.
Certification Body Focus
These changes take effect August 31, 2023 and the CB auditor will be required to audit to these changes when assessing the QMS of a supplier that supplies a GM manufacturing site.
Note: These requirements also apply to a lower tier supplier that is direct shipping to a GM manufacturing site.
This insight is provided by simpleQuE consultant and auditor, Bob Dornhecker. With over 35 years of combined experience in auditing, manufacturing and certification, Bob has an extensive quality background. Additionally, he has taught and facilitated many quality related training classes for clients and has provided support to companies securing their own ISO/Quality Management Systems certifications. He also conducts ISO 9001 and IATF 16949® 2nd and 3rd party audits.
SimpleQuE is not associated with the IATF®, IAOB, ANAB®, IAQG®, and is not a certification body. SimpleQuE is an independent consulting, training, and second-party auditing service provider that assists a company on a path for the company to obtain and maintain certification through accredited certification bodies.
Learn More About The simpleQuE Advantage