IATF 16949 Certification – The Automotive Quality Standard
What is IATF 16949?
IATF 16949 is the global quality standard recognized by the automotive industry. IATF 16949 defines the quality management system requirements (QMS) for the design and development, production assembly, installation and services of automotive-related products including products with embedded software. The focus of this standard and IATF16949 certification is the development of a QMS that provides for continual improvement, emphasizing defect prevention and the reduction of waste in the supply chain. Combined with applicable Customer Specific Requirements, IATF 16949 is also fully aligned with the structure and requirements of ISO 9001:2015 which was designed to assure effective quality management systems for manufacturing and service industries around the world.
The Characteristics of IATF 16949 Certification
Developed by the International Automotive Task Force, IATF 16949 has a variety of automotive industry-specific features, including:
- Defect prevention
- Reduction of variation and waste in the supply chain
- Customer focus and satisfaction
- Identification of risks and problems in the production process
- Management of resources
- Product realization
- Responsibility of management
- Measurement, analysis and improvement
As of 2019 there were more than 69,000 suppliers worldwide which have IATF 16949:2016 certification. The standard can be used by suppliers of any size or industry who manufacture customer-specified production parts, service parts, and/or accessory parts. As an international standard, it is recognized as the basis for creating a system to ensure customer satisfaction and improvement.
The Benefits of IATF 16949 Certification
- Meet Client Requirements – More and more customers are demanding that their suppliers be certified. If your business doesn’t meet this criteria you could be losing out on sales.
- Improve Customer Satisfaction – improving satisfaction improves your chances of repeat business.
- Increase Revenue – Studies show that certified organizations are paid 7% more on average, have better sales growth and an improved ROA. (source: iso.org)
- Reduce Waste – By establishing the rigor of a Quality Management System, you can reduce inefficiency and make the most of your business’ time and resources.
- Qualify as an automotive industry supplier – certification demonstrates that you are able to provide high-quality products with no defects and inspires trust that you will deliver what is promised.
- Monitor Brand Image – Maintaining quality in your organization minimizes the chance of a slip-up or error that could hurt your reputation.
- Engagement and process ownership – more engaged employees are motivated to manage and improve their processes and that’s good for corporate culture.
- Manage Risk – By adopting these standards, you will learn how to best identify and mitigate threats to your business model.
How do you cross the finish line to become IATF Certified?
If you’re searching for an IATF 16949:2016 consultant, our team at simpleQuE is well positioned to support your IATF 16949 and MAQMSR consulting (Minimum Automotive Quality Management System Requirements), certification, maintenance, training and internal auditing needs. Our consultants are qualified, certified, competent and are experts on the automotive standards, customer specific requirements, and AIAG or VDA core tools. In addition, many are current or former 3rd party auditors who bring valuable insight because of the knowledge gained from auditing for certification bodies.
SimpleQuE also offers a full line-up of IATF 16949 training courses which includes AIAG and VDA Core Tools, Root Cause Analysis and Problem Solving, Requirements and Implementation. With IATF also putting a major focus on internal auditor competency, it is essential to have IATF 16949 Internal Auditor Training. Our IATF 16949 auditor training utilizes the process audit approach. Contact us to learn more about the customized services offered to match your certification and training needs.
Learn More About The simpleQuE Advantage