IATF 16949:2016 Out By Year-End
The new IATF 16949 standard is due out in December 2016, per the IATF (International Automotive Task Force) http://www.iatfglobaloversight.org. The first draft is completed and they are obtaining additional input, while also planning to complete some pilot gap assessments worldwide to refine the new TS standard and associated Rules by July of this year. This will give IATF time to finalize and publish the new standard by year-end.
What are the changes we can expect to see to address some of the automotive OEM issues?
- New requirements for safety-related parts and processes (i.e. airbags, tires, brakes, inspection/testing, etc.)
- Enhanced product traceability requirements to support new laws and changes to regulations
- Requirements for products with embedded software (i.e. engine control modules, emission control software, change control, etc.)
- Warranty management process including addressing NTF (no trouble found) and use of automotive industry guidance (AIAG CQI-14)
- Clarification of sub-tier supplier management and development requirements (based on risks, it may be necessary to manage sub-suppliers, not just direct suppliers. Also, clause 126.96.36.199 from the beginning of TS has always had FAQS and/or Sanctioned Interpretations to allow deviations from this TS clause)
- Addition of corporate responsibility requirements (i.e. ethics, risk management and so much more is published in various ISO documents and guidelines on social responsibility – ISO 26000 as an example, or social accountability – SA8000 commonly used outside the US)
We don’t know the extent of these requirements, but just know these new concepts are being added to the TS standard.
The timeline to upgrade to the new IATF 16949:2016 will be September 14, 2018, less than 21 months after publication of the standard. Certification bodies will require some time to train their auditors and get approved to issue certificates to IATF 16949:2016, so the transition time will be tight.
Learn More About The simpleQuE Advantage