The Advantages of Outsourcing Internal Quality Audits
If your organization is certified to ISO 9001 or a standard that is aligned with it, like AS9100 or IATF 16949, and you perform internal quality audits, then you should know this:
- For ISO 9001:2015, one of the top four clauses for registrar findings was 9.2 Internal Audit.
- The IATF standard takes it a step further with the focus on Internal Auditor Competency – Clause 7.2.3, and even Second-party Auditor Competency – Clause 7.2.4. As of January 2018, of the top 10 major findings noted by the International Automotive Oversight Bureau (IAOB), the second highest number are written against Internal Auditor Competency with 9.2.2 Internal Audit also included in the top 10.
This means that Certification Bodies are scrutinizing internal auditors and their competency, especially when it involves IATF. That’s why many companies are choosing to outsource their internal audits to a 2nd party like simpleQuE whose auditors are qualified, certified, competent and are experts on the standards and customer specific requirements. In addition, many are current or former 3rd party auditors and bring valuable insight because of that knowledge gained from auditing for certification bodies.
Here are more reasons to outsource internal audits from our very own team of auditors (who have seen it all):
Why audits should not be done internally:
- Without proper training and experience, internal auditors don’t fulfil the competency requirements
- Lack of time to perform the audits and write reports
- Reports with limited or no findings or objective evidence
- No demonstration of the process approach or risk based thinking
- Timeliness of management in responding to findings/report
- Internal turnover resulting in too much variation in reporting/focus and overall quality of audits
Advantages to outsourcing internal audits
- Fresh set of eyes from outside the organization that are objective and unbiased
- Reduces company’s investment in continual training on changing requirements
- Professional and timely reports
- More cost and time effective, freeing up internal resources
- Management gives greater attention to an outside expert, especially when there are sensitive issues that an inside auditor may be hesitant to address
- Better internal response and acceptance of findings and opportunities for improvement
- More content, findings, comments, opportunities for improvement and observations for added value
- Our auditors have:
- In depth knowledge of the standard’s requirements,
- Experience in the field and can share best practices,
- An understanding of the process approach and risk based thinking
- The ability to provide consulting while auditing
- Compliance to ISO 19011 on auditing management systems
All solid reasons for turning your audits over to the experts. Contact us at 740-305-0868 or [email protected] for more information about internal quality auditing.
Learn More About The simpleQuE Advantage