The Advantages of Outsourcing Internal Quality Audits
If your organization is certified to ISO 9001 or a standard that is aligned with it, like AS9100 or IATF 16949®, and you perform internal quality audits, then you should know this:
- For ISO 9001:2015 and AS9100:2016, one of the top 10 clauses for registrar findings in 2019 was 9.2 Internal Audit.
- The IATF® standard takes it a step further with the focus on Internal Auditor Competency – Clause 7.2.3, and even Second-party Auditor Competency – Clause 7.2.4.
This means that Certification Bodies are scrutinizing internal auditors and their competency, especially when it involves IATF®. That’s why many companies are choosing to outsource their internal audits to a 2nd party like simpleQuE whose auditors are qualified, certified, competent, and are experts on the standards and customer-specific requirements. In addition, many are current or former 3rd party auditors and bring valuable insight because of that knowledge gained from auditing for certification bodies.
While management may be concerned with the cost of hiring a professional auditor to come in and complete their internal audits, if they really considered all of the costs to the company and the value of having someone who audits all the time, and has had the benefit of seeing how other companies have improved their processes, they may want to reconsider.
Management should consider the time and cost of the initial training for their internal audits, the cost of re-training whenever the standard requirements change, the time it takes for their people to plan for and complete the audits, and what is their return on this investment. Have the audits helped the company improve the effectiveness of its Quality Management System processes?
Once all of the costs have been considered and a look is given to how the current audits have led to process improvements, management will find the true value and price of a professional auditor will be comparable, or even less, to the cost they are now paying and will be much more valued-added than what they are currently getting.
Here are more reasons to outsource internal audits from our very own team of auditors (who have seen it all):
Why Audits Should Not Be Done Internally
- Without proper training and experience, internal auditors don’t fulfill the competency requirements
- Lack of time to perform the audits and write reports
- Reports with limited or no findings or objective evidence
- No demonstration of the process approach or risk-based thinking
- Timeliness of management in responding to findings/report
- Internal turnover resulting in too much variation in reporting/focus and overall quality of audits
Knowledge. Expertise. Experience.
Outsource Your Internal Audits
Advantages To Outsourcing Internal Audits
- A fresh set of eyes from outside the organization that are objective and unbiased
- Reduces company’s investment in continual training on changing requirements
- Professional and timely reports
- More cost and time effective, freeing up internal resources
- Management gives greater attention to an outside expert, especially when there are sensitive issues that an inside auditor may be hesitant to address
- Better internal response and acceptance of findings and opportunities for improvement
- More content, findings, comments, opportunities for improvement, and observations for added value
- Our auditors have:
- In-depth knowledge of the standard’s requirements,
- Experience in the field and can share best practices,
- An understanding of the process approach and risk-based thinking
- The ability to provide consulting while auditing
- Compliance to ISO 19011 on auditing management systems
All solid reasons for turning your audits over to the experts. After all, the true intent of being certified is to help improve the company, which will eventually have a positive impact on the bottom line. Contact us at 740-305-0868 or email@example.com for more information about internal quality auditing and remote auditing (to comply with COVID-19 policies).
SimpleQuE is not associated with the IATF®, IAOB, ANAB®, IAQG®, and is not a certification body. SimpleQuE is an independent consulting, training, and second-party auditing service provider that assists a company on a path for the company to obtain and maintain certification through accredited certification bodies
Learn More About The simpleQuE Advantage